One of our readers reported, when ever he double clicks on any of the drive to open, it opens automatically in new window.
As we all know the expected behaviour is that each drive opens in the same window until a user has explicitly set the option Open Each Folder In Its Own Window. under File menu >> Tools >> Folder Options in General.
Why It drive opens in new window?
It happens when a program or virus tries to edit the File Folder or Drive shell entries to add more context menu items and set them as default for double click action.
Lets see how we can fix this.
1. Open Start >> Run and type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
2. press ok
3. You will see a message DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded
4. that’s it
1. Open Start >> Run and type regedit
2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Directory/Shell
3. Double click the default key type none and press ok.
4. now navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Drive/Shell.
5. Double click the default key type none and press ok.
If you don’t want to play with the registry ,you can run the following command instead at
Run Prompt: ( Open Start >> Run )
“reg add hkcr\drive\shell /ve /d none /f” (without double quotes)
We hope at least one of the above method may work for you to fix the trouble, if not please let us know.
Note: If still after following the above you are not able to solve the problem then update your antivirus and run a complete scan and make your system virus free.
Courtesy of Trouble Fixers